- Is it safe?
- All Sports and martial arts have its issues,
but fencing is fairly safe. Safety is a number one
priority to all fighters. Also it is required that
marshals are present and that they monitor equipment,
field and participants at every SCA practice and meet.
- Can women get involved
- Of course! Women make up a good
percentage of the fighters as well as being some of the
- What age can we start at!
- 14 years of age, but please check the rule
sets, because this could change and special permissions
need to be in place for under 18.
- How much does it cost?
- FREE! it is not required to be a SCA
member and loaner gear is available at most practices.
Twin moons (east valley) has a large amount of
loaner gear and all you need to
provide is a long sleeve shirt (typically) and men
require their own groin protection (cup).
- When can I start!
- When you are ready, there are 5 practices
during the week at the different locations.
- Tuesday: Barony of Ered Sul (Flagstaff)
- Tuesday: Barony of Tir ysgithr (Tucson)
- Wednesday: Barony of Atenveldt (central
- Thursday: Barony of Twin Moons (east valley)
- Sunday: Barony of Sun dragon (west valley)
Marshal: Person responsible
for ensuring the rules are followed Doublet: A jacket that can be used for
chest armor, if it meets the equipment standards Gorget: Equipment for the neck that can be
used if it meets the equipment standards White Scarf: A award presented by the queen
ideally for being a positive presence for the rapier
community in large. HLS / DON: A teacher that also has
been awarded a white scarf.